The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew course (Malahide Dates & Dun Laoghaire Dates) with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which is widely used for chartering abroad. We’ve prepared an explanation of what the ICC is and what it entitles you to here.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board one of our Elan 36s 'Beaufort Venture' or ‘Dream Catcher’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2018
Our 2018 Malahide Course Dates are listed below. If these dates don't suit, check out our Dun Laoghaire Schedule.
- Course 1: Saturday 17th – Monday 19th (Bank Holiday Monday), Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th March (no days off work required)
- Course 2: Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th, Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th June (one day off work required)
- Course 3: Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th, Friday 21st – Sunday 23rd September (one day off work required)
All Courses meet at Malahide Marina at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, bringing a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.