The Start Sailing Course introduces you to the basics of sailing. We offer this course in our fleet of 1720 Sportsyachts, which are stable, dry, comfortable and are sailed as part of a team. The course leads to RYA Start Sailing Certification - Keelboat Level 1.
Cost: €299 per person
Start Sailing Syllabus...
We follow the syllabus as laid down by The Royal Yachting Association. The following are all integral parts to the course as we get your sailing career underway!
- Clothing – What to wear afloat and why.
- Ropework – We get you up and running with some basic knots.
- Rigging – How to put the boat together.
- Weather – What’s good to get out in and ultimately what to avoid!
- Setting the sails.
- Steering – getting to grips with the tiller!
- Wind Direction – how to determine where the wind is coming from.
- Upwind, downwind and sailing at 90° to the wind!
A 26 foot 1720 Sportsyacht which accommodates 4 students and the Instructor/Skipper. The 1720 Sportsyacht is easy to manage and cannot capsize. In fact our fleet of 1720 Sportsyachts have internal buoyancy tanks fitted so can’t sink either!
All wet gear and safety equipment is provided by us – we provide waterproof clothing and lifejackets. It really is just a case of getting yourself here and letting us do the rest!
Sailing Courses - 2021 Dates...
Update: 10th March 2021
We’ve carefully been reviewing the indicated roadmap from the government, and examined where the various activities we offer fit into that roadmap. While the boat used to deliver this course is a 26 foot vessel, it is very difficult to fully social distance onboard. While we’re technically allowed to run these courses in higher levels, we’ve feel that Level 2 and down are appropriate levels to deliver these courses. We also feel it’s better to set a realistic date for when this may happen, taking into account that while we hope things progress more quickly, we don’t want to have to disrupt your plans with further cancellations/rescheduling. Therefore, we’ve decided to begin our 2021 programmes in July of this year.
Weekend Courses, Saturday and Sunday (10am - 5.30pm on Saturday and Sunday except where stated)
- Weekend Course 9: Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th July - Fully Booked
- Weekend Course 10: Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th July - Fully Booked
- Weekend Course 11: Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th July
- Weekend Course 12: Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th August
- Weekend Course 13: Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd August
- Weekend Course 14: Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th August
- Weekend Course 15: Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th September
Weekday Courses, (10am-5.30pm each day)
- Weekday Course 15: Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th July
- Weekday Course 16: Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th July
- Weekday Course 17: Wednesday 14th and Thursday 15th July
- Weekday Course 18: Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th July
- Weekday Course 19: Monday 26th and Tuesday 27th July
- Weekday Course 20: Wednesday 28th and Thursday 29th July
- Weekday Course 21: Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th August
- Weekday Course 22: Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th August
- Weekday Course 23: Tuesday 18th and Wednesday 19th August
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to restrictions extending beyond the current restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course and what to expect! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now...