The start sailing course introduces you to the basics of sailing onboard our fleet of 1720 sportyachts, which are stable, dry, comfortable and are sailed as part of a team. Explore the picturesque Dun Laoghaire and Dublin Bay while learning the essentials of sailing.
Start Sailing Syllabus...
We follow the Royal Yachting Association syllabus issuing the RYA Keelboat Level 1 certificate upon course completion. All the course is conducted on the water learning the skills in a hands on manner. The following are all integral parts to the course as we get your sailing career underway!
- Clothing – What to wear afloat and why.
- Ropework – We get you up and running with some basic knots.
- Rigging – How to put the boat together.
- Weather – What’s good to get out in and ultimately what to avoid!
- Setting the sails.
- Steering – getting to grips with the tiller!
- Wind Direction – how to determine where the wind is coming from.
- Upwind, downwind and sailing at 90° to the wind!
A 26-foot 1720 sportyacht which accommodates 4 students and the Instructor. It’s easy to manage and cannot capsize. In fact, our fleet of 1720s have internal buoyancy tanks fitted so can’t sink either!
All specialist gear is provided by us – we provide waterproof clothing and lifejackets. It really is just a case of getting yourself here and letting us do the rest! For more information on gear to bring see our FAQ section.
Sailing Courses - 2020 Dates...
Weekend Courses, Saturday 9.30am-5.30pm and Sunday 10am-5.30pm (except where stated)
- Course 1: 15th and 16th February
- Course 2: 29th February and 1st March
- Course 3: 14th and 15th March
- Course 4: 21st and 22nd March
- Course 5: 4th and 5th April
- Course 6: 18th and 19th April
- Course 7: 25th and 26th April
- Course 8: 9th and 10th May
- Course 9: 23rd and 24th May
- Course 10: 30th and 31st May
- Course 11: Saturday 6th and Saturday 13th June
- Course 12: Saturday 20th and Saturday 27th June
- Course 13: Saturday 18th and Saturday 25th July
- Course 14: Saturday 1st and Saturday 8th August
- Course 15: Saturday 15th and Saturday 22nd August
- Course 16: 5th and 6th September
- Course 17: 19th and 29th September
- Course 18: 3rd and 4th October
- Course 19: 10th and 11th October
- Course 20: 31st October and 1st November
- Course 21: 7th and 8th November
The course fees are €249. Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195.
Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.
Book Online Now...