Gradutes of Day Skipper courses and sailors looking to complete the ICC Direct Assessment will benifit from our short course, Mooring and Handling Under Power. The course is designed to refresh knowledge and skills on handling a yacht under power, focusing on berthing manoeuvers many find complicated.
The programme runs on the following dates from 9.30am-5pm each. Day. Courses meet in the INSS Clubhouse on the West Pier.
- Course 1: Sunday 7th May - Course Fully Booked
- Course 2: Saturday 24th June
- Course 3: Sunday 13th August
The cost of the course is €99, inclusive of waterproof overalls and lifejacket. Lunch will be provided on board the boat.
- Basic Engine Checks
- Review of Handling under power;
- Throttle and Gear Controls
- Rudder, Propellers, Propwalk and the effect of pivot points
- Going ahead and astern
- Use of wind/stream to aid manoeuvres
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces
- Leaving and Returning to a marina berth under power
- Use of springs and various other berthing techniques
- 9.30am: Meet at INSS Clubhouse, Welcome and Gear Allocation
- 10am-10.30am: On Yacht, safety briefing and familiarisation
- 10.30am-1pm: Session 1 – Manoeuvres under power and basic berthing manoeuvres
- 1-1.30pm: Lunch on board Yacht
- 1.30-4.30pm: Session 2 – More complex berthing manoeuvres
- 4.30-5pm: Debriefing and Final Questions
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your sailing course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.