Looking to refresh your yacht handling skills? Are you a gradutes of Day Skipper courses or a sailors looking to complete the ICC Direct Assessment? You'll benifit from this short course, Mooring and Handling Under Power. The course is designed to refresh knowledge and skills on handling a yacht under power, focusing on berthing manoeuvers many find complicated.
The programme runs on the following dates from 9.30am-5pm each. Day. Courses meet in the INSS Clubhouse on the West Pier.
- Course 4: Saturday 30th June
- Course 5: Saturday 8th September
The cost of the course is €119, inclusive of waterproof overalls and lifejacket. Lunch will be provided on board the boat.
- Basic Engine Checks
- Review of Handling under power;
- Throttle and Gear Controls
- Rudder, Propellers, Propwalk and the effect of pivot points
- Going ahead and astern
- Use of wind/stream to aid manoeuvres
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces
- Leaving and Returning to a marina berth under power
- Use of springs and various other berthing techniques
- 9.30am: Meet at INSS Clubhouse, Welcome and Gear Allocation
- 10am-10.30am: On Yacht, safety briefing and familiarisation
- 10.30am-1pm: Session 1 – Manoeuvres under power and basic berthing manoeuvres
- 1-1.30pm: Lunch on board Yacht
- 1.30-4.30pm: Session 2 – More complex berthing manoeuvres
- 4.30-5pm: Debriefing and Final Questions
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your sailing course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.