The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lulla Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Dun Laoghaire Course Dates 2018...
- Course 31: 15th-19th October - Course Fully Booked
- Course 32: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th October - Course Fully Booked
- Course 33: 5th-9th November - Course Fully Booked
- Course 34: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th November - Course Fully Booked
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. Where courses run on concurrent days overnight accommodation is aboard the yacht. Course finish times may vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699 (Please see below for a combined practical and theory course discount).
Dun Laoghaire Course Dates 2019...
- Course 1: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th January
- Course 2: 2nd, 3rd, 8th-10th February
- Course 3: 11th-15th February
- Course 4: 16th, 17th, 22nd-24th February
- Course 5: 2nd, 3rd, 8th-10th March
- Course 6: 11th-15th March
- Course 7: 16th, 17th, 22nd-24th March
- Course 8: 25th-29th March
- Course 9: 6th, 7th, 12th-14th April
- Course 10: 18th-22nd April
- Course 11: 27th, 28th April, 4th-7th May
- Course 12: 6th-10th May
- Course 13: 11th, 12th, 17th-19th May
- Course 14: 18th, 19th, 24th-26th May
- Course 15: 20th-24th May
- Course 16: 1st-3rd, 8th, 9th June
- Course 17: 10th-14th June
- Course 18: 15th, 16th, 21st-23rd June
- Course 19: 24th-28th June
- Course 20: 29th, 30th, 5th-7th July
- Course 21: 15th-19th July
- Course 22: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th July
- Course 23: 29th July – 2nd August
- Course 24: 3rd-5th, 10th, 11th August
- Course 25: 12th-16th August
- Course 26: 17th, 18th, 23rd-25th August
- Course 27: 7th, 8th, 13th-15th September
- Course 28: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd September
- Course 29: 16th-20th September
- Course 30: 21st, 22nd, 27th-29th September
- Course 31: 5th, 6th, 11th-13th October
- Course 32: 12th, 13th, 18th-20th October
- Course 33: 14th-18th October
- Course 34: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th October
- Course 35: 26th-28th October, 2nd, 3rd November
- Course 36: 28th October – 1st November
- Course 37: 2nd, 3rd, 8th-10th November
- Course 38: 15th-17th, 23rd, 24th November
- Course 39: 18th-22nd November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Package your Day Skipper Theory and Practical for a discounted price with further discounts for friends/family and additional training. Learn More...