The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew Course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lula Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Dun Laoghaire Course Dates 2020...
- Course 1: 18th & 19th, 24th – 26th January - Course Fully Booked
- Course 2: 1st & 2nd, 7th – 9th February - Course Fully Booked
- Extra Course A: 3rd - 7th February - Special Offer for this course...
- Course 3: 10th – 14th February
- Course 4: 22nd & 23rd, 28th, 29th February & 1st March - Course Fully Booked
- Course 5: 7th & 8th, 13th-15th March
- Course 6: 16th – 20th March
- Course 7: 21st & 22nd, 27th-29th March
- Course 8: 30th March – 3rd April
- Course 9: 9th – 13th April (Easter weekend)
- Course 10: 20th – 24th April
- Course 11: 25th & 26th April, 2nd – 4th May
- Course 12: 27th April – 1st May
- Course 13: 8th-10th, 16th, 17th May
- Course 14: 11th – 15th May
- Course 15: 18th -22nd May
- Course 16: 23rd & 24th May, 30th May – 1st June
- Course 17: 30th May – 1st June, 6th & 7th June
- Course 18: 2nd – 6th June
- Course 19: 8th – 12th June
- Course 20: 12th -14th, 20th & 21st June
- Course 21: 13th & 14th, 19th - 21st June
- Course 22: 15th – 19th June
- Course 23A: 22nd – 26th June
- Course 23B: 22nd – 26th June
- Course 24: 27th & 28th June, 3rd-5th July
- Course 25: 6th – 10th July
- Course 26: 11th & 12th, 17th – 19th July
- Course 27: 20th – 24th July
- Course 28: 25th & 26th July, 1st-3rd August
- Course 29: 27th – 31st July
- Course 30: 7th – 9th, 15th & 16th August
- Course 31: 10th – 14th August
- Course 32: 21st – 23rd, 29th & 30th August
- Course 33: 22nd & 23rd, 28th – 30th August
- Course 34: 31st August – 4th September
- Course 35: 5th & 6th, 11th- 13th September
- Course 36: 14th -1 8th September
- Course 37: 19th, 20th, 25th – 27th September
- Course 38: 26th & 27th September, 2-4th October
- Course 39: 3rd & 4th, 9th – 11th October
- Course 40: 5th – 9th October
- Course 41: 10th & 11th, 16th – 18th October
- Course 42: 17th & 18th, 24th – 26th October
- Course 43: 23rd – 27th October
- Course 44: 27th – 31st October
- Course 45: 7th & 8th, 13th – 15th November
- Course 46: 14th & 15th, 20th – 22nd November
- Course 47: 16th – 20th November
- Course 48: 21st & 22nd, 27th – 29th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €725
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course and what to expect! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Package your Day Skipper Theory and Practical for a discounted price with further discounts for friends/family and additional training. Learn More...