The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board our Elan 36s 'Beaufort Venture' or 'Dream Catcher'.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates Dun Laoghaire 2018...
- Course 4: 2nd-4th, 10th &11th March - One place remaining, please call 01 2844195 to book.
- Course 5: 12th-16th March
- Course 6: 17th-19th, 24th, 25th March - Course Fully Booked
- Malahide Course 1: 17th-19th, 24th 25th March - Running from our new Malahide Base.
- Course 7: 29th March-2nd April - Course Fully Booked
- Course 8: 3rd-7th April
- Course 9: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd April - Course Fully Booked
- Course 10: 4th-6th, 12th, 13th May
- Course 11: 14th-18th May
- Course 12: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th May
- Course 13: 21st-25th May
- Course 14: 2nd-4th, 9th, 10th June
- Course 15: 11th-15th June
- Course 16: 16th, 17, 22nd-24th June
- Malahide Course 2: 6th, 17, 22nd-24th June - Running from our new Malahide Base.
- Course 17: 25th-29th June
- South Coast Course A: 30th June - 4th July - Course Running from South Coast - Details here.
- Course 18: 7th, 8th, 13th-15th July
- Course 19: 16th-20th July
- South Coast Course B: 28th July - 1st August - Course Running from South Coast - Details here.
- Course 20: 28th, 29th July, 4th-6th August
- Course 21: 30th July - 3rd August
- Course 22: 2nd-6th August
- Course 23: 7th-11th August
- Course 24: 17th-19th, 25th, 26th August
- Course 25: 20th-24th August
- Course 26: 27th-31st August
- Course 27: 7th-9th, 15th, 16th September
- Malahide Course 3: 15th, 16th, 21st-23rd September - Running from our Malahide Base.
- Course 28: 17th-21st September
- Course 29: 22nd, 23rd, 28th-30th September
- Course 30: 6th, 7th, 12th-14th October
- Course 31: 15th-19th October
- Course 32: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th October
- Course 33: 5th-9th November
- Course 34: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. Where courses run on concurrent days overnight accommodation is aboard the yacht. Course finish times may vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699 (Please see below for a combined practical and theory course discount).
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. We are delighted to offer the Day Skipper Practical Course and Day Skipper Shore Based Theory Course for the combined price of €950 when you book both programmes together, in additon we also have further training discounts. More details...