The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture', our J109 'Jedi' or our Reflex 38 'Lynx'.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2018...
- Course 1: 19th-21st, 27th & 28th January
- Course 2: 5th-9th February
- Course 3: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th February
- Course 4: 2nd – 4th, 10th, 11th March
- Course 5: 12th-16th March
- Course 6: 29th-2nd April
- Course 7: 3rd-7th April
- Course 8: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd April
- Course 9: 23rd-27th April
- Course 10: 4th-6th, 12th, 13th May
- Course 11: 14th-18th May
- Course 12: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th May
- Course 13: 2nd-4th, 9th, 10th June
- Course 14: 11th-15th June
- Course 15: 16th, 17, 22nd-24th June
- Course 16: 28th, 29th, 4th-6th July/August
- Course 17: 7th-11th August
- Course 18: 17th-19th, 25th, 26th August
- Course 19: 20th-24th August
- Course 20: 27th-31st August
- Course 21: 7th-9th, 15th, 16th September
- Course 22: 17th-21st September
- Course 23: 22nd, 23rd, 28th-30th September
- Course 24: 6th, 7th, 12th-14th October
- Course 25: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th October
- Course 26: 5th-9th November
- Course 27: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. Where courses run on concurrent days overnight accommodation is aboard the yacht. Course finish times may vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699 (Please see below for a combined practical and theory course discount).
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. We are delighted to offer the Day Skipper Practical Course and Day Skipper Shore Based Theory Course for the combined price of €950 when you book both programmes together, in additon we also have further training discounts. More details...