The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew Course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lula Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Dun Laoghaire Course Dates 2021...
- Course 1: 8th – 10th, 16th & 17th January
- Course 2: 15th – 17th, 23rd & 24th January
- Course 3: 29th – 31st January, 6th & 7th February
- Course 4: 1st – 5th February
- Course 5: 13th & 14th, 19th – 21st February
- Course 6: 20th & 21st, 26th – 28th February
- Course 7: 26th – 28th February, 6th & 7th March
- Course 8: 1st – 5th March
- Course 9: 12th – 14th, 20th & 21st March
- Course 10: 27th & 28th March, 3rd – 5th April
- Course 11: 28th March – 1st April
- Course 12: 29th March – 2nd April
- Course 13: 2nd – 6th April
- Course 14: 10th & 11th, 16th - 18th April
- Course 15: 19th – 23rd April
- Course 16: 24th & 25th April, 1st – 3rd May
- Course 17: 4th – 8th May
- Course 18: 8th & 9th, 14th – 16th May
- Course 19: 10th – 14th May
- Course 20: 15th & 16th, 21st – 23rd May
- Course 21: 17th – 21st May
- Course 22: 22nd & 23rd, 28th – 30th May
- Course 23: 24th – 28th May
- Course 24: 29th & 30th May, 5th – 7th June
- Course 25: 31st May – 4th June
- Course 26: 5th – 7th, 12th & 13th June
- Course 27: 8th – 12th June
- Course 28: 14th – 18th June
- Course 29: 19th & 20th, 25th – 27th June
- Course 30: 19th & 20th, 26th - 28th June
- Course 31: 28th June - 2nd July
- Course 32: 3rd & 4th, 9th – 11th July
- Course 33: 5th – 9th July
- Course 34: 10th & 11th, 16th – 18th July
- Course 35: 12th – 16th July
- Course 36: 17th & 18th, 23rd – 25th July
- Course 37: 24th & 25th, 31st July – 2nd August
- Course 38: 26th – 30th July
- Course 39: 29th July – 2nd August
- Course 40: 3rd – 7th August
- Course 41: 7th & 8th, 13th – 15th August
- Course 42: 9th – 13th August
- Course 43: 14th & 15th, 21st – 23rd August
- Course 44: 16th – 20th August
- Course 45: 21st & 22nd, 27th – 29th August
- Course 46: 30th August – 3rd September
- Course 47A: 4th & 5th, 10th – 12th September
- Course 47B: 4th & 5th, 10th – 12th September
- Course 48: 13th – 17th September
- Course 49: 18th & 19th, 24th – 26th September
- Course 50: 20th – 24th September
- Course 51: 25th & 26th September, 2nd – 4th October
- Course 52: 27th September – 1st October
- Course 53: 2nd & 3rd, 8th – 10th October
- Course 54: 6th – 10th October
- Course 55: 11th – 15th October
- Course 56: 16th & 17th, 22nd – 24th October
- Course 57: 22nd – 24th, 30th & 31st October
- Course 58: 25th – 29th October
- Course 59: 30th October – 1st, 6th & 7th November
- Course 60: 2nd - 6th November
- Course 61: 8th – 12th November
- Course 62: 13th & 14th, 19th – 21st November
- Course 63: 19th – 21st, 27th & 28th November
- Course 64: 22nd – 26th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, bringing a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €725
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Amendments to operating procedures
Please note, these are our current operational changes, and may change by the time your course commences:
- We have reduced the number of students onboard to 4, to allow for social distancing while above deck.
- Only one person will be permitted to go below deck at any one time.
- We will not be overnighting on the boat, therefore you will not be in close contact with anyone for an extended duration. Courses will run from 9.30am on the first day until the evening. Exact times will be worked out by the whole group and instructor.
- We are unable to provide catering/meals, instead we ask that you bring a packed lunch with you each day. A flask of soup for example might be nice for the colder days. We will provide the means for tea and coffee, but ask that you bring a travel mug so as to no share any cutlery etc.
- All gear issued will have been decontaminated prior to handing over.
- The meeting point from the course has been moved to Dun Laoghaire marina, this is to eliminate meeting inside our clubhouse.
- We’ll provide hand sanitiser and cleaning equipment to prevent cross contamination on board the boat.
- Everyone must complete a health declaration prior to attending.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to future restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course and what to expect! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Package your Day Skipper Theory and Practical for a discounted price with further discounts for friends/family and additional training. Learn More...