The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lula Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Dun Laoghaire Course Dates 2019...
- Course 22: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th July - Course Fully Booked
- Course 23: 29th July – 2nd August - Course Fully Booked
- Course 24: 3rd-5th, 10th, 11th August - Course Fully Booked
- Course 25: 12th-16th August
- Course 26: 17th, 18th, 23rd-25th August - Course Fully Booked
- Course 26B: 19th-23rd August
- Course 27: 7th, 8th, 13th-15th September
- Course 28: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd September
- Course 29: 16th-20th September
- Course 30: 21st, 22nd, 27th-29th September
- Course 31: 5th, 6th, 11th-13th October
- Course 32: 12th, 13th, 18th-20th October
- Course 33: 14th-18th October
- Course 34: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th October
- Course 35: 26th-28th October, 2nd, 3rd November
- Course 36: 28th October – 1st November
- Course 37: 2nd, 3rd, 8th-10th November
- Course 38: 15th-17th, 23rd, 24th November
- Course 39: 18th-22nd November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Package your Day Skipper Theory and Practical for a discounted price with further discounts for friends/family and additional training. Learn More...