The Day Skipper is a course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
Learn to skipper a short passage with the instructor on hand to give advice and encouragement and ensure your safety. Experience being in charge, taking credit when it all goes well and being responsible when it doesn't. We encourage that you have at least taken the Competent Crew course with us or have spent at least 5 days on a yacht acting as an effective crew member.
You should also have taken the Day Skipper Shorebased Course which will have given you the background theory knowledge making the navigation work aboard much easier.
Completion of this course will allow you to then obtain an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) which will then allow you to charter any one of our fleet of 1720s or our larger yachts, and is the international standard for charter abroad.
- Preparation of a yacht for sea
- Navigation to include
- Position Fixes
- Course to Steer
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Positions
- Interpreting Shipping forecasts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Basic Engine Maintenance
- Can handle a yacht under power
- Can handle a yacht in close quarters under sail
This course is held on board our reflex 38 Yacht, 'Lynx' for further information, click here, or on board our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture'.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2017...
- Course 1: 27th – 29th January, 4th and 5th February
- Course 2: 15th-19th February - COURSE FULL
- Course 3: 4th, 5th, 10th-12th March
- Course 5: 8th-12th April
- Course 6: 18th-22nd April
- Course 7: 28th-30th April, 6th, 7th May - COURSE FULL
- Course 8: 12th-14th, 20th, 21st May
- Course 9: 15th-19th May
- Course 10: 3rd-5th, 10th, 11th June
- Course 11: 12th-16th June
- Course 12: 26th-30th June
- Course 13: 17th-21st July - Running from South-East Coast - More Information...
- Course 14: 29th, 30th July, 5-7th August
- Course 15: 8th-12th August
- Course 16: 18th-20th, 26th, 27th August
- Course 17: 21st-25th August
- Course 18: 8th-10th, 16th, 17th September
- Course 19: 18th-22nd September
- Course 20: 29th, 30th September, 1st, 7th 8th October
- Course 22: 3rd-5th, 11th, 12th November
- Course 23: 13th-17th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. Where courses run on concurrent days overnight accommodation is aboard the yacht. Course finish times may vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699 (Please see below for a combined practical and theory course discount).
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimium 5 days at sea; 100miles logged, and at least 4 hours at night.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. We are delighted to offer the Day Skipper Practical Course and Day Skipper Shore Based Theory Course for the combined price of €950 when you book both programmes together, in additon we also have further training discounts. More details...