Our Competent Crew course is designed to give persons the ability to effectively and safely crew on a modern cruising boat. The course is 5 days long. We highly recommend taking the Start Sailing Course prior to this course.
Experience living on board and really get to know the boat. Virtually all the course is hands on. You are the crew - without you the sails won't go up and the boat won't be steered.
By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board. You will have also enjoyed some enjoyable and scenic anchorages along the East Coast of Ireland and had an enjoyable holiday.
The course covers the RYA Competent Crew syllabus.
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Dinghies & tenders
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
This course is held on board our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture', our J109 'Jedi' or our Reflex 38 'Lynx'.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2017...
- Course 18: 8th-10th, 16th, 17th September - Course Fully Booked
- Course 19: 18th-22nd September - Course Fully Booked
- Course 20: 29th, 30th September, 1st, 7th 8th October - Course Fully Booked
- Course 21: 9th-13th October
- Course 22: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd October
- Course 23: 26th-30th October - Only 2 places remaining
- Course 24: 3rd-5th, 11th, 12th November 2017 - Course Fully Booked
- Course 25: 13th-17th November 2017
Course Dates 2018...
- Course 1: 19th-21st, 27th & 28th January
- Course 2: 5th-9th February
- Course 3: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th February
- Course 4: 2nd – 4th, 10th, 11th March
- Course 5: 12th-16th March
- Course 6: 29th-2nd April
- Course 7: 3rd-7th April
- Course 8: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd April
- Course 9: 23rd-27th April
- Course 10: 4th-6th, 12th, 13th May
- Course 11: 14th-18th May
- Course 12: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th May
- Course 13: 2nd-4th, 9th, 10th June
- Course 14: 11th-15th June
- Course 15: 16th, 17, 22nd-24th June
- Course 16: 28th, 29th, 4th-6th July/August
- Course 17: 7th-11th August
- Course 18: 17th-19th, 25th, 26th August
- Course 19: 20th-24th August
- Course 20: 27th-31st August
- Course 21: 7th-9th, 15th, 16th September
- Course 22: 17th-21st September
- Course 23: 22nd, 23rd, 28th-30th September
- Course 24: 6th, 7th, 12th-14th October
- Course 25: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th October
- Course 26: 5th-9th November
- Course 27: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.