Our Competent Crew course is designed to give persons the ability to effectively and safely crew on a modern cruising boat. The course is 5 days long. We highly recommend taking the Start Sailing Course prior to this course.
Experience living on board and really get to know the boat. Virtually all the course is hands on. You are the crew - without you the sails won't go up and the boat won't be steered.
By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board. You will have also enjoyed some enjoyable and scenic anchorages along the East Coast of Ireland and had an enjoyable holiday.
The course covers the RYA Competent Crew syllabus.
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Dinghies & tenders
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lulla Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2021...
- Course 36: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th July, Friday 23rd – Sunday 25th July - Fully Booked
- Course 36B: Monday 19th – Friday 23rd July - Fully Booked
- Course 37: Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th, Saturday 31st July - Monday 2nd August - Fully Booked
- Course 38: Monday 26th – Friday 30th July - Fully Booked
- Course 39: Thursday 29th July – Monday 2nd August - Fully Booked
- Course 40: Tuesday 3rd – Saturday 7th August - Fully Booked
- Course 41: Friday 6th – Sunday 8th, Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th August - Fully Booked
- Course 42A: Monday 9th – Friday 13th August - Fully Booked
- Course 42B: Monday 9th – Friday 13th August - Fully Booked
- Course 43: Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th, Saturday 21st – Monday 23rd August -Fully Booked
- Course 44A: Monday 16th – Friday 20th August - Fully Booked
- Course 44B: Monday 16th – Friday 20th August - Fully Booked
- Course 45: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd, Friday 27th – Sunday 29th August - Fully Booked
- Course 44C: Wednesday 25th – Sunday 29th August - Fully Booked
- Course 46: Monday 30th August – Friday 3rd September - Fully Booked
- Course 47A: Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th, Friday 10th – Sunday 12th September - Fully Booked
- Course 47B: Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th, Friday 10th – Sunday 12th September - Fully Booked
- Course 48: Monday 13th – Friday 17th September - Fully Booked
- Course 49: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th, Friday 24th – Sunday 26th September - Fully Booked
- Course 50: Monday 20th – Friday 24th September
- Course 51: Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th September, Saturday 2nd – Monday 4th October - Fully Booked
- Course 52: Monday 27th September – Friday 1st October
- Course 53: Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd, Friday 8th – Sunday 10th October - Fully Booked
- Course 54: Wednesday 6th – Sunday 10th October
- Course 55: Monday 11th – Friday 15th October
- Course 56: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th, Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th October
- Course 57: Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October - 2 places remaining
- Course 58: Monday 25th – Friday 29th October
- Course 59: Saturday 30th October – Monday 1st November, Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th November
- Course 60: Tuesday 2nd – Saturday 6th November
- Course 61: Monday 8th – Friday 12th November
- Course 62: Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th, Friday 19th – Sunday 21st November
- Course 63: Friday 19th – Sunday 21st, Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th November
- Course 64: Monday 22nd – Friday 26th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €725
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Ammendements to operating procedures
Please note, these are our current operational changes, and may change by the time your course commences:
- Only one person will be permitted to go below deck at any one time.
- We will not be overnighting on the boat, therefore you will not be in close contact with anyone for an extended duration. Courses will run from 9.30am on the first day until the evening. Exact times will be worked out by the whole group and instructor.
- We are unable to provide catering/meals, instead we ask that you bring a packed lunch with you each day. A flask of soup for example might be nice for the colder days. We will provide the means for tea and coffee, but ask that you bring a travel mug so as to no share any cutlery etc.
- All gear issued will have been decontaminated prior to handing over.
- The meeting point from the course has been moved to Dun Laoghaire marina, this is to eliminate meeting inside our clubhouse.
- We’ll provide hand sanitiser and cleaning equipment to prevent cross contamination on board the boat.
- Everyone must complete a health declaration prior to attending.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to future restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Participants are strongly recommended to have completed the Start Yachting course before partaking in the Competent Crew.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course and what to expect! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Reduce the Cost of Training - DaySkipper All-In-One
Package your Day Skipper Theory and Practical for a discounted price with further discounts for friends/family and additional training. Learn More...