Our Competent Crew course is designed to give persons the ability to effectively and safely crew on a modern cruising boat. The course is 5 days long. We highly recommend taking the Start Sailing Course prior to this course.
Experience living on board and really get to know the boat. Virtually all the course is hands on. You are the crew - without you the sails won't go up and the boat won't be steered.
By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board. You will have also enjoyed some enjoyable and scenic anchorages along the East Coast of Ireland and had an enjoyable holiday.
The course covers the RYA Competent Crew syllabus.
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Dinghies & tenders
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
This course is held on board our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture', our J109 'Jedi' or our Reflex 38 'Lynx'.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2018...
- Course 17: 25th-29th June - 1 place remaining, please call 01 2844195 to book
- Course 18: 7th, 8th, 13th-15th July - Course Fully Booked
- Course 19: 16th-20th July - Course Fully Booked
- Course 20: 28th, 29th July, 4th-6th August - Course Fully Booked
- Course 21: 30th July - 3rd August
- Course 22: 2nd-6th August
- Course 23: 7th-11th August
- Course 24: 17th-19th, 25th, 26th August - 1 place remaining, please call 01 2844195 to book
- Course 25: 20th-24th August
- Course 26: 27th-31st August
- Course 27: 7th-9th, 15th, 16th September
- Malahide Course 3: 15th, 16th, 21st-23rd September - Running from our Malahide Base.
- Course 28: 17th-21st September
- Course 29: 22nd, 23rd, 28th-30th September
- Course 30: 6th, 7th, 12th-14th October
- Course 31: 15th-19th October
- Course 32: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th October
- Course 33: 5th-9th November
- Course 34: 10th, 11th, 16th-18th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.