Our Competent Crew course is designed to give persons the ability to effectively and safely crew on a modern cruising boat. The course is 5 days long. We highly recommend taking the Start Sailing Course prior to this course.
Experience living on board and really get to know the boat. Virtually all the course is hands on. You are the crew - without you the sails won't go up and the boat won't be steered.
By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board. You will have also enjoyed some enjoyable and scenic anchorages along the East Coast of Ireland and had an enjoyable holiday.
The course covers the RYA Competent Crew syllabus.
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Dinghies & tenders
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
This course is held on board our reflex 38 Yacht, 'Lynx' for further information about Lynx click here, or on board our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture'.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2017...
- Course 1: 27th – 29th January, 4th and 5th February
- Course 2: 15th-19th February - COURSE FULL
- Course 3: 4th, 5th, 10th-12th March
- Course 4: 20th-24th March
- Course 5: 8th-12th April
- Course 6: 18th-22nd April
- Course 7: 28th-30th April, 6th, 7th May - COURSE FULL
- Course 8: 12th-14th, 20th, 21st May
- Course 9: 15th-19th May
- Course 10: 3rd-5th, 10th, 11th June
- Course 11: 12th-16th June
- Course 12: 26th-30th June
- Course 13: 17th-21st July - Running from South-East Coast - More Information...
- Course 14: 29th, 30th July, 5-7th August
- Course 15: 8th-12th August
- Course 16: 18th-20th, 26th, 27th August
- Course 17: 21st-25th August
- Course 18: 8th-10th, 16th, 17th September
- Course 19: 18th-22nd September
- Course 20: 29th, 30th September, 1st, 7th 8th October
- Course 21: 23rd-27th October 2017
- Course 22: 3rd-5th, 11th, 12th November 2017
- Course 23: 13th-17th November 2017
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.