Our Competent Crew course is designed to give persons the ability to effectively and safely crew on a modern cruising boat. The course is 5 days long. We highly recommend taking the Start Sailing Course prior to this course.
Experience living on board and really get to know the boat. Virtually all the course is hands on. You are the crew - without you the sails won't go up and the boat won't be steered.
By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board. You will have also enjoyed some enjoyable and scenic anchorages along the East Coast of Ireland and had an enjoyable holiday.
The course covers the RYA Competent Crew syllabus.
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Dinghies & tenders
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lulla Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2020...
- Course 25: 6th – 10th July - Fully Booked
- Course 26: 11th & 12th, 17th – 19th July - Fully Booked
- Course 27: 20th – 24th July - Fully Booked
- Course 28: 25th & 26th July, 1st-3rd August - Fully Booked
- Course 29: 27th – 31st July - Fully Booked
- Course 30: 7th – 9th, 15th & 16th August - Fully Booked
- Course 31: 10th – 14th August - Fully Booked
- Course 32: 21st – 23rd, 29th & 30th August - Fully Booked
- Course 33: 22nd & 23rd, 28th – 30th August - Fully Booked
- Course 34: 31st August – 4th September
- Course 35: 5th & 6th, 11th- 13th September - Fully Booked
- Course 36: 14th -18th September
- Course 37: 19th, 20th, 25th – 27th September
- Course 38: 26th & 27th September, 2-4th October
- Course 39: 3rd & 4th, 9th – 11th October
- Course 40: 5th – 9th October
- Course 41: 10th & 11th, 16th – 18th October
- Course 42: 17th & 18th, 24th – 26th October
- Course 43: 23rd – 27th October
- Course 44: 27th – 31st October
- Course 45: 7th & 8th, 13th – 15th November
- Course 46: 14th & 15th, 20th – 22nd November
- Course 47: 16th – 20th November
- Course 48: 21st & 22nd, 27th – 29th November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €725
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to restrictions extending beyond the current restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course and what to expect! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now...