Our Competent Crew course is designed to give persons the ability to effectively and safely crew on a modern cruising boat. The course is 5 days long. We highly recommend taking the Start Sailing Course prior to this course.
Experience living on board and really get to know the boat. Virtually all the course is hands on. You are the crew - without you the sails won't go up and the boat won't be steered.
By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day duties on board. You will have also enjoyed some enjoyable and scenic anchorages along the East Coast of Ireland and had an enjoyable holiday.
The course covers the RYA Competent Crew syllabus.
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Dinghies & tenders
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lulla Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for the course duration and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2019...
- Course 22: 20th, 21st, 26th-28th July - Fully Booked
- Course 23: 29th July – 2nd August - Fully Booked
- Course 24: 3rd-5th, 10th, 11th August - Fully Booked
- Course 25: 12th-16th August
- Course 26: 17th, 18th, 23rd-25th August - Fully Booked
- Course 26B: 19th-23rd August
- Course 27: 7th, 8th, 13th-15th September
- Course 28: 14th, 15th, 20th-22nd September
- Course 29: 16th-20th September
- Course 30: 21st, 22nd, 27th-29th September
- Course 30B: 30th September - 4th October
- Course 31: 5th, 6th, 11th-13th October
- Course 32: 12th, 13th, 18th-20th October
- Course 33: 14th-18th October
- Course 34: 19th, 20th, 25th-27th October
- Course 35: 26th-28th October, 2nd, 3rd November
- Course 36: 28th October – 1st November
- Course 37: 2nd, 3rd, 8th-10th November
- Course 38: 15th-17th, 23rd, 24th November
- Course 39: 18th-22nd November
All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. There will be at least one overnight aboard the yacht so you need to be prepared, brining a sleeping bag with you. Course finish times will vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Course fee: €699
Reduce the cost of training with our Yacht Training Discount Scheme. More details...
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.