The Coastal Skipper course is full of advanced skippering techniques for yachtsmen and women with considerable knowledge of sailing and navigation, wanting to undertake coastal passages by day and night.
Like the Day Skipper course, this course consists of skippered passages in a variety of situations. Each trainee will skipper more challenging passages and learn more about passage planning, pilotage by day and night, boat handling, safety and emergency situations.
Coastal Skippers should be able to undertake more difficult passages by day and night and handle the yacht in more demanding conditions.
Please Note: This is the RYA Coastal Skipper Course. If you are looking to complete the RYA Coastal Skipper Certificate of Competency please click here. The difference between the "course" and "certificate of competency" is explained here.
- Intricate Passage Planning
- Preperation for Offshore Passages
- Pilotage plans for entering into harbours and coves by day and night
- In depth skippering including all responsibilities
- Advanced Yacht Handling under power
- Heavy weather sailing and preperation
- Understanding how to abandon a vessel.
This course is held on board either our Elan 36 'Beaufort Venture' or our First 36 ‘Lulla Belle’. Both are 36-foot cruising yachts with 6 berths, full kitchen including stove and fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
We provide foul weather waterproofs from Gill Marine, though you will need to bring with you enough clothing for two days and a sleeping bag.
Course Dates 2021 & Price...
- Course 3: Monday 30th August – Friday 3rd September
The course fee is €769. All Courses meet at INSS Clubhouse at 9.30am on first day of course. Where courses run on concurrent days overnight accommodation is aboard the yacht. Course finish times may vary depending on destinations and weather conditions.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to future restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Combine Theory and Practical Courses and Save!
Book your theory and practical course together for a reduced price of €999. Payments can be made in installments. Please contact our team on 01 2844195 to avail of this offer. Theory course details are here.
Participants are recommended to have the following experience, minimum 15 days at sea; 300 miles logged, and at least 8 hours at night and 2 days as skipper. Prior to this course, it is recommended that you will have completed the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Theory Course, or have knowledge to an equivalent standard.
We are delighted to answer questions you may have regarding this course and encourage you to chat to us prior to enrolling. You can contact us either on 01 2844195 or by email to email@example.com.
Bookings can be made online below, or by calling our team on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course and what to expect! Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now...