This course is designed for those who wish to get certified in the use of Short-Range Very High Frequency radio telephony. It is assumed the participant has no previous experience so the course leader starts at the very beginning. On our course you will use real VHF radios rather than computer based simulators, we ensure that no more than 2 persons will share a radio at any one stage, this coupled with a complimentary set of course notes mean that you will not only pass the short examination at the end of the course but you will be a hugely competent user of VHF radio.
This is the Irish Department of Transport recognised course. We have a high exam pass success rate.
This course is a pre-requisite for many other practical courses and is a legal requirement for anybody who plans to use a VHF set.
- Learning the phonetic alphabet
- Day to day communications
- Emergency & distress calls
- The GMDSS network and system
Course Dates 2021...
- Course 1: Monday 11th, Tuesday 12th, Wednesday 13th and Thursday 14th January - Not proceeding with Level 5 restrictions
- Course 2: Monday 1st, Tuesday 2nd, Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th February
- Course 3: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th February (9.30am-5pm each day)
- Course 4: Monday 1st, Tuesday 2nd, Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th March
- Course 5: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March (9.30am-5pm)
- Course 6: Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th, Thursday 8th and Friday 9th April
- Course 7: Monday 19th, Tuesday 20th, Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd April
- Course 8: Monday 17th, Tuesday 18th, Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th May
- Course 9: Monday 21st, Tuesday 22nd, Wednesday 23rd and Thursday 24th June
- Course 10: Monday 16th, Tuesday 17th, Wednesday 18th and Thursday 19th August
- Course 11: Monday 20th, Tuesday 21st, Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd September
- Course 12: Tuesday 2nd, Wednesday 3rd, Thursday 4th and Friday 5th November
Courses run on evenings, 6.30pm-9.30pm, unless stated otherwise, with the course examination taking place on the last day of the course. Course fee €209.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to restrictions extending beyond the current restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195 to book onto your chosen course. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date, start / finish times and specific course information. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now