Our Navigation and Pilotage for Small Boats course is designed for powerboaters and day sailors, specifically those who have advanced beyond beginner level and are either chartering boats or getting afloat on their own. Maybe you're looking to take trips away from your home port, this course will teach you all you need to know to operate on trips further away from base.
This is an in-house course we're running, and is not a certified programme, however, this course will get you to the level to satisfy the navigation and theory pre-requisits for the Intermediate Powerboat Certificate and Advanced Powerboat Certificate, and equip Day Sailors to plan passages between marinas and ports along the coast.
What you’ll be able to do…
- Interpret Weather forecasts, source information and plan accordingly
- Chartwork; identify distances, plot positions, determine course to steer and more
- Understand how to utilise electronic aids to navigation; GPS, Electronic Chart Plotter and more
- Calculate tidal heights
- Identify Buoyage at both day and night
- Prepare detailed passage plans, using charts, interpreting the effect of tide and weather
- Understand and comply with IRPCS
Special Online Course...
In light of the current movement restrictions, we've launched a Navigation and Pilotage for Small Boats course in an online format via Zoom. While this will not be a certificate course, the syllabus is very similar syllabus to the Coastal Navigation for Small Boats Course. You will have suficent navigation, pilotage and theory skills to satisfy the requirements for Intermediate or Advanced Powerboat Courses.
- Online Course 1: Monday 27th, Tuesdsay 28th, Wednesday 29th and Thursday 30th April (beginning at 6.30pm each evening and running until at latest 9.30pm).
Please note, bookings by Friday 24th April at 4pm to ensure course notes make it to you in time. A full pack of materials, including practise charts, course notes and a set of plotters and dividers will be posted to you.
The course fee of €175 includes a €15 refundable deposit on plotters and dividers which will be refunded if you return them to us, when safe to do so. There is no time limit on how long it is before they are returned.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.