The Coastal Navigation for Small Boats course is a short theory course that is ideal for powerboaters. The course is certified by Irish Sailing (national governing body for sailing and powerboating in Ireland) and will teach you all the fundamental navigational skills needed to safely operate a powerboat on longer trips away from base.
This course satisfies the navigation and theory pre-requisits for the Irish Sailing Intermediate Powerboat Certificate and Irish Sailing Advanced Powerboat Certificate.
What you’ll be able to do…
- Interpret Weather forecasts, source information and plan accordingly
- Chartwork; identify distances, plot positions, determine course to steer and more
- Understand how to utilise electronic aids to navigation; GPS, Electronic Chart Plotter and more
- Calculate tidal heights
- Identify Buoyage at both day and night
- Prepare detailed passage plans, using charts, interpreting the effect of tide and weather
- Understand and comply with IRPCS
Classroom Course Dates 2021 and Prices…
- Course 1: Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th February (9.30am-5pm each day)
- Course 2: Monday 8th, Wednesday 10th, Monday 15th and Wednesday 17th March (6.30-9.30pm each evening)
- Course 3: Tuesday 4th, Wednesday 5th, Tuesday 11th and Wednesday 12th May (6.30-9.30pm each evening)
- Course 4: Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th June (9.30am-5pm each day)
- Course 5: Tuesday 3rd, Wednesday 4th, Tuesday 10th and Wednesday 11th August (6.30-9.30pm each evening)
- Course 6: Monday 11th, Wednesday 13th, Monday 18th and Wednesday 20th October (6.30-9.30pm each evening)
The course fees are €149, including all course materials.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to restrictions extending beyond current restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now…