The Coastal Navigation for Small Boats course is a short theory course that is ideal for powerboaters. The course is certified by Irish Sailing (national governing body for sailing and powerboating in Ireland) and will teach you all the fundamental navigational skills needed to safely operate a powerboat on longer trips away from base.
This course satisfies the navigation and theory pre-requisits for the Irish Sailing Intermediate Powerboat Certificate and Irish Sailing Advanced Powerboat Certificate.
What you’ll be able to do…
- Interpret Weather forecasts, source information and plan accordingly
- Chartwork; identify distances, plot positions, determine course to steer and more
- Understand how to utilise electronic aids to navigation; GPS, Electronic Chart Plotter and more
- Calculate tidal heights
- Identify Buoyage at both day and night
- Prepare detailed passage plans, using charts, interpreting the effect of tide and weather
- Understand and comply with IRPCS
Course Dates 2020 and Prices…
The course takes place over 2 days (9.30am-5.30pm each day) or 4 evenings (6.30-9.30pm each evening).
- Course 1: Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th January (9.30am-5.30pm each day)
- Course 2: Monday 2nd, Wednesday 4th, Monday 9th and Wednesday 11th March (6.30-9.30pm each evening)
- Course 3: Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th May (9.30am-5.30pm each day)
- Course 4: Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th August (9.30am-5.30pm each day)
- Course 5: Monday 28th, Wednesday 30th September, Monday 5th and Wednesday 7th October (6.30-9.30pm each evening)
The course fees are €149, including all course materials.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now…