We offer direct assessments for the International Certificate of Competency – Sail. These run over the course of a day and take place aboard one of our fleet of yachts. Candidates will be asked to undertake a series of manoeuvres and demonstrate theory to the standard of Day Skipper Practical Level and Theory Level, briefly outlined below;
- Preparation of a yacht for sea, including obtaining weather forecasts and briefing crew
- Basic Engine Checks
- Leaving and returning to a pontoon
- Handle the yacht in a confined space
- Man Overboard Recovery
Theory Assessment: Written Paper
- Can identify: Day Shapes, Night Lights, Sound Signal (both in good visibility and in fog)
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Navigation and Chartwork, including: Plot a fix, Calculate Course to Steer, Read Latitude, Longitude and bearings, measure distance
What is The ICC?
The International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft (ICC) was established under resolution No. 40 of the Working Party on Inland Water Transport for the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. The aim of the ICC is to provide boat owners and people wishing to charter boats with an internationally recognised document certifying their competence to skipper a boat for recreational use. In Ireland the Irish Sailing Association are the issuing authority for ICCs.
Direct Assessment Dates:
Assessments will take place on the following dates:
- Assessment 1: Saturday 25th March (9.30am-5pm)
- Assessment 2: Sunday 23rd April (9.30am-5pm)
- Assessment 3: Saturday 20th May (9.30am-5pm)
- Assessment 4: Sunday 25th June (9.30am-5pm)
The cost for the assessment is €149.
Upon successful completion of the ICC assessment we will issue a signed and stamped ICC application form which you will be able to apply to the Irish Sailing Association to issue you the ICC. Their application fee is €96, payable to the ISA.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your sailing course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.