The RYA Intermediate Powerboat Course will teach participants how to safely plan and execute a day passage. This is a perfect course for those who wish to further their navigation and practical powerboating abilities as well as for those who undertake day trips away from their home port.
The course lasts two days and covers;
- Navigation and Chartwork
- Courses to Steer
- Interpreting Tidal Information, including tidal diamonds, tidal streams and tidal curves
- Use of Electronic Chart Plotter
- Fixing position by traditional and electronic means
- Day Pilotage
- Application of IRPCS
- Application of SRC VHF Radio
- Boat Handling in Rougher Weather
- Techniques for picking up a Man Over Board in various conditions
A Typical Passage from an Intermediate Course - Malahide to Dun Laoghaire...
Participants are strongly recommended to have completed a Level 2 Powerboat Certificate course.
It is also recommended that participants hold a VHF Radio Operators Certificate, a First Aid Certificate and have knowledge to the standard of the RYA Day Skipper Theory Course.
An assessment at the beginning of the couse may be required at our discretion. This is to ensure that all participants are at an appropriate skill level to absorb new knowledge and skills.
Dun Laoghaire Course Dates 2021...
Courses run on Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30am each day.
- Course 1: Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th April
- Course 2: Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th May
- Course 3: Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th July
- Course 4: Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th August
- Course 5: Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October
The cost of the course is €299.
If the scheduled dates don't suit, get in touch and we should be able to organise a course for times that suit you.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to future restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
What to Expect...
"Never thought I could learn so much in 2 days, but the instructor made that happen. The course vastly grew my abilities and my confidence."
Joan - Course Graduate
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now...