The RYA Intermediate Powerboat Course will teach participants how to safely plan and execute a day passage. This is a perfect course for those who wish to further their navigation and practical powerboating abilities as well as for those who undertake day trips away from their home port.
The course lasts two days and covers;
- Navigation and Chartwork
- Courses to Steer
- Interpreting Tidal Information, including tidal diamonds, tidal streams and tidal curves
- Use of Electronic Chart Plotter
- Fixing position by traditional and electronic means
- Day Pilotage
- Application of IRPCS
- Application of SRC VHF Radio
- Boat Handling in Rougher Weather
- Techniques for picking up a Man Over Board in various conditions
Participants must hold a National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2) and have at least 8 hours driving experience.
It is strongly recommended that participants hold a VHF Radio Operators Certificate, a First Aid Certificate and have completed the Day Skipper Theory Course.
Course Dates 2017
Courses run on Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30am each day.
- Course 1: 4th and 5th March
- Course 2: 1st and 2nd April
- Course 3: 17th and 18th June
- Course 4: 29th and 30th July
- Course 5: 16th and 17th September
- Course 6: 14th and 15th October
- Course 7: 25th and 26th November
The cost of the course is €289.
If the scheduled dates don't suit, get in touch and we should be able to organise a course for times that suit you.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. All major Credit / Debit Cards accepted. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.