The Advanced Powerboat Course will allow powerboaters to gain skills in boat handling, seamanship, pilotage and navigation, at both day and night in coastal waters. Some pre course preparation maybe needed depending on your experience.
- Boat Preparation
- Boat Handling; holding station, coming alongside at speed, lee shore landings
- Rough weather skills
- Meterology; forecast sourcing and interpretation, implications for powerboating
- Navigation; at day and night using GPS, depth sounder, steering and hand bearing compass
- Passage Planning
- International Collision Regulations, day and night shapes
- Safety, search patterns, sea anchor usage
- Basic maintenance, trailing and storage
Previous Experience & Pre-requisites
Participants must hold a National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2). We would recommend having also completed the Intermediate Powerboat Course.
It is strongly recommended that participants hold a VHF radio operators certificate and a first aid certificate. Additionally, participants should be proficient in navigation of at least Irish Sailing's Coastal Navigation for Small Boats Course or the RYA Day-Skipper level.
An assessment at the beginning of the couse may be required at our discretion. This is to ensure that all participants are at an appropriate skill level to absorb new knowledge and skills.
Course Dates 2022
Courses run on Fridays evening from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, Saturday 9:30am-9:00pm and Sundays 10:00am-5:00pm.
- Course 1: Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th February
- Course 2: Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th March
- Course 3: Friday 4th, Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th November
- Course 4: Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th November
Course Fee - €349 per person
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to public health restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
EU Digital COVID Certificate
Since the 7th of December 2021 the EU Digital COVID Certificate is required for attending programmes such as the ones we offer. We will apply, expand and restrict this measure in line with regulations in place at the time of the programme. We will not refund fees where someone is unable to produce an EU Digital COVID Certificate at the time of their programme.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.