The Advanced Powerboat Course will allow powerboaters to gain skills in boat handling, seamanship, pilotage and navigation, at both day and night in coastal waters. Some pre course preparation maybe needed depending on your experience.
- Boat Preparation
- Boat Handling; holding station, coming alongside at speed, lee shore landings
- Rough weather skills
- Meterology; forecast sourcing and interpretation, implications for powerboating
- Navigation; at day and night using GPS, depth sounder, steering and hand bearing compass
- Passage Planning
- International Collision Regulations, day and night shapes
- Safety, search patterns, sea anchor usage
- Basic maintenance, trailing and storage
Previous Experience/Knowledge Required
Participants must hold a National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2) and have at least 8 hours driving experience.
It is strongly recommended that participants hold a VHF radio operators certificate and a first aid certificate. Additionally, participants should be proficient in navigation to at least RYA Day-Skipper level.
Course Dates 2018
Courses run on Saturday from 10am-9pm and Sunday from 10am-5pm.
- Course 2: 3rd and 4th March
- Course 3: 21st and 22nd April - Course Fully Booked
- Course 4: 29th and 30th September
- Course 5: 17th and 18th November
Course Fee - €340 per person
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. All major Credit / Debit Cards accepted. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling.