The Advanced Powerboat Course will allow powerboaters to gain skills in boat handling, seamanship, pilotage and navigation, at both day and night in coastal waters. Some pre course preparation maybe needed depending on your experience.
- Boat Preparation
- Boat Handling; holding station, coming alongside at speed, lee shore landings
- Rough weather skills
- Meterology; forecast sourcing and interpretation, implications for powerboating
- Navigation; at day and night using GPS, depth sounder, steering and hand bearing compass
- Passage Planning
- International Collision Regulations, day and night shapes
- Safety, search patterns, sea anchor usage
- Basic maintenance, trailing and storage
Previous Experience & Pre-requisites
Participants must hold a National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2). We would recommend having also completed the Intermediate Powerboat Course.
It is strongly recommended that participants hold a VHF radio operators certificate and a first aid certificate. Additionally, participants should be proficient in navigation of at least Irish Sailing's Coastal Navigation for Small Boats Course or the RYA Day-Skipper level.
An assessment at the beginning of the couse may be required at our discretion. This is to ensure that all participants are at an appropriate skill level to absorb new knowledge and skills.
Courses run on Friday evening, 6.30-9.30pm, Saturday from 9.30am-9pm and Sunday from 10am-5pm.
- Course 1: Friday 22nd, Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th January
- Course 2: Friday 19th, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st February
- Course 3: Friday 19th, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st March
- Course 4: Friday 22nd , Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th October
- Course 5: Friday 19th, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st November
Course Fee - €340 per person
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to restrictions we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book online below, or by calling us on 01 2844195. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure you have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now...