Please Note: Dates have been finalised for these Programmes and we are unable to change them to suit holiday arrangements and other commitments
Our Instructor Training programme is unique and unrivalled in Ireland. Our course ensures all students sailing are at the level required for the Royal Yachting Association pre-entry assessment. Our programme concentrates not only on sailing ability but on other key aspects necessary to be a successful instructor including presentation skills, interpersonal skills, risk analysis and on the water safety.
As well as fulfilling the instructor training above, each potential instructor must also complete a VHF, Powerboat, and First Aid Course.
The dates for the Sail Coaching Programme are listed below. We start the intensive sail training in January, however we recommend that each candidate attend the Junior Club for the Autumn Term as preparation for the Sail Training. The times each day are 10am-5pm.
The coaching is broken into two modules. The first culminates in a one-day internal assessment of the candidates. If we do not believe a candidate will have obtained the required skills at this stage, we will be honest. The second module is available upon our assessment that the candidate will be able to complete the RYA pre-entry assessment. Continuation to module 2 is by no means a guarantee of success at the pre-entry. We may take a candidate on module 2 if we think they may be able to reach the required standard in time.
Module 1: Sailing Coaching and Assessment Day (11th February)
- January 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
- February 4th, 11th
Candidates attend from 10am-5pm each day. The cost for Module 1 is €150
Module 2: Sailing Coaching for Pre-Entry Assessment
- February 18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th
- March 4th, 11th, 18th
Candidates attend from 10am-5pm on the above dates, which include the February Mid Term Break. The cost for Module 2 is €250.
We recommend attending all the days above to ensure each participant fully grasps all the elements required for both the pre-assessment course and the following instructor course.
The Pre-Entry Assessment is run by an external coach assessor to determine if the candidates sailing ability is sufficient to undertake an instructor course. The 2017 RYA Instructor Pre-Entry Assessments will take place on Saturday 25th March 2017 or Sunday 26th March 2017, from 9am-5pm. The cost of the assessment is €59.
During the assessment the candidate will be asked to complete the following:
- Sail around a triangular course of 100m (minimum) legs to the best of their ability using all the boat’s normal equipment, including spinnaker if carried.
- Sail a tight circular course around a stationary boat, making only one tack and one gybe.
- Sail a ‘follow my leader’ course behind another boat. The course may include all points of sailing and may be behind another sailing dinghy or behind a powered boat.
- Pick up a man overboard dummy; the boat to be stopped and more than one attempt should not be needed.
The candidate may also be asked to complete some of the following:
- Sail without a rudder, or with the tiller on a loose elastic around a triangular course. You will be expected to make good progress around the course in a seamanlike manner (not applicable to keelboat or multihull instructor candidates).
- Lee shore landing and departure
- Anchor or pick up a mooring - wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Come along-side a moored boat - wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Recover a capsized dinghy and sail away
Upon successful completion of the Pre-Entry Assessment candidates are eligible to undertake a Dinghy Instructor Course.
Pre Instructor Training & RYA Dinghy Instructor Course
This is an essential preparation course for those that have been successful in passing the Pre Entry Assessment. The focus now moves to preparing the candidates for the instructor course they will be put through their paces both on and off the water.
Pre-Course Training: Saturday 1st and Saturday 8th April (10am-5pm each day)
The Instructor Course consists of training in teaching techniques afloat and ashore is run by External Coach/Assessors from the RYA. The course runs for 5 days, and times are at the discretion of the Coach/Assessor but are generally from 9am to 5pm. The 2017 RYA Dinghy Instructor Course will take place from Sunday 9th April to Thursday 13th April 2017.
The cost for the pre-course training and Dinghy Instructor Course is €349.
Please call our team on 01 2844195, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.