The Start Sailing Course introduces you to the basics of sailing. If you’re a fan of getting wet, then Dinghies are for you. Want to stay dry - try our beginner yacht course for adults.
Price: €199 per person
This course runs on the syllabus of Royal Yachting Association Level 1 and comprises of 12 hours tuition. Put simply we start at the beginning – it is assumed that all participants have no previous dinghy sailing experience but are water confident and have a can-do attitude with regard to getting to grips with life aboard a small dinghy! The course syllabus includes:
- Learning how to Rig (Assembling your boat)
- Pre-launch safety checks.
- What clothing is the right clothing to wear?
- Weather - what conditions are safe for me?
- Turning the boat around - Tacking and Gybing.
- Setting the sails according to what angle you’re sailing at to the wind.
- Capsize recovery - Getting the boat back upright!
- Learning how to determine the direction the wind is coming from.
What you’ll get from the course
This course will provide you with a fantastic foundation in the sport of sailing – by the end of your time with us you will know the basics well and be ready to up the ante and sign up for a Level 2 Course.
Your training boat is the Laser Pico – a versatile dinghy designed with the sailing school in mind, complete with reefable sail and plenty of cockpit space for you to get comfortable in.
We provide everything – from your wetsuit to Lifejacket / Buoyancy Aid to waterproof jackets to wear whilst afloat. All you need to bring along is swimwear, shower gear, a towel, spare pair of clothes, a packed lunch and most importantly a can do attitude.
Course Dates 2021
Courses run from 9.30am to 5.30pm on Saturdays and 10am-5.30pm on Sundays.
- Course 1: Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd May
- Course 2: Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th May
- Course 3: Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th May
- Course 4: Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd May
- Course 5: Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th May
- Course 6: Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th June
- Course 7: Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th June
- Course 8: Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th June
- Course 9: Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th June
- Course 10: Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th July
- Course 11: Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th July
- Course 12: Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th July
- Course 13: Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th July
- Course 14: Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th August
- Course 15: Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th August
- Course 16: Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd August
The course fees are €199.
Amendments to bookings due to COVID-19
- In light of the current situation, we have significantly relaxed our booking terms and conditions. If courses cannot run due to issues relating to COVID-19 we will move bookings without penalty, or refund fees where a suitable alternative cannot be found.
- Please see the current schedule alterations here.
- If you make a future booking, please be reassured that if the course is unable to go ahead due to restrictions extending we will reschedule the course to a time of your convenience or refund the fees.
Once you have chosen a date that suits you can book by calling us on 01 2844195 or online below. Once you have booked in, we'll send you a confirmation email outlining your course, its date and start / finish times. Please ensure to have read our Terms and Conditions prior to enrolling. Our cancellation policy for this course can be viewed here.
Book Online Now